San Francisco – Stockholm One Way
On February 1, 2017 we took an Uber to Oakland airport after a month in a little Airbnb bungalow in Berkeley. 3 large suitcases, 2 bags, 2 car seats, 1 stroller and a one way ticket to Stockholm, Sweden. All the rest already in a container, on a boat on its way to the same destination.
Bye, bye California. Time to go back to Europe.
Why would a Frenchie move her family to Sweden after 6 years in beautiful, sunny California, you ask? Call it an opportunity, a challenge, pure craziness or a call for a new adventure; I’m excited to arrive in Stockholm with the objective of opening Sköna’s first European office and bring our B2B marketing expertise from the Silicon Valley to the European market.
This is what I have learned so far:
- Your face gets cold – REI and North Face keep everything else warm
- Sure, days are shorter but that means you get to see the sunrise and the sunset everyday
- It’s familiar – They even have my favorite French yogurts at the local ICA supermarket
- The Swedes like their sweets – you can buy candies and chocolates loose by the kilo
- Everyone speaks English perfectly – but learning Swedish is still going to be a priority to keep up with our kids
- It’s a kid’s wonderland – from amazing outdoor playgrounds to dedicated kids play spaces in every mall
- Even at -4 C (25 F), while pushing their massive strollers around, the Swedes manage to stay elegant
Looking forward to sharing our adventure here as we continue to build the Sköna outpost in Stockholm - make sure to check back for more!