New Business Director
San Francisco, CA
The New Business Director is a self-assured, collaborative, strategic, and proactive leader. This person drives and manages Skona’s global new business (offices in San Francisco and Stockholm), while working directly with the agency’s leaders to expand Skona’s client portfolio and revenue through outbound prospecting, the inbound pipeline, pitches, and strategic opportunities.
About Our Culture
We’re a small (but mighty) creative agency based in San Francisco with an office in Stockholm. We work with high tech clients, most of them B2B, on a range of creative services including digital marketing, website development, marketing strategy, brand development, event marketing, outdoor advertising, and much more. Our team is tight-knit and we love what we do. We like to do great work but we don’t take ourselves too seriously. We focus on collaboration to produce beautiful results, we leave our egos at the door and look for ways to always pitch in.
- Drive New Biz overall (managing and prioritizing the current pipeline, concepting overarching strategy, tracking goals, etc.).
- Be the information owner for both senior leadership and other departments – managing upwards and outwards to foster communication and alignment. Also proactively socializing the new business pipeline updates and other relevant information to the company as needed.
- Always one step ahead for new business needs. You are leading, everyone looks to you for what to do next.
- Partner closely with Head of Client Services to ensure we are staying fully aligned and cohesive as an agency with our materials, processes, strategies, and goals.
- Externally act as the go-to point of contact for potential new clients.
- Drive all new business meetings/calls.
- Have a deep understanding of what it takes to sell Skona’s capabilities, divisions, and culture inside and out, and are able to speak about them fluently and charismatically.
- Outbound Prospecting: Work hand-in-hand with the Leadership Team on all outbound initiatives – facilitating networking opportunities and positioning them to sell the agency.
- Consistently keep an ear to the ground, staying deeply in tune with the landscape and proactively sharing learnings + potential action items with team.
- Search for and identify potential opportunities for Skona.
- Proactively network and foster connections for Skona – creating opportunities for agency leaders to meet with clients and consultants.
- Attend relevant conferences and events on behalf of Skona.
- Work closely with the Head of Client Services and Head of Marketing to ideate and identify marketing opportunities.
- Work closely with the Head of Client Services and Head of Marketing to develop creative and strategic outreach ideas for potential clients.
- Be a Skona credentials-master – developing and customizing outbound materials for opportunities pitches.
- Act as the overarching pitch ringleader – externally running and internally rallying all key players with minimal oversight.
- Ensure we have a deep understanding of the client’s business and objectives.
- Work closely with other pitch leaders to identify our “North Star” (the strategy for how we win) and ensure the entire team understands and is aligned.
- Oversee all moving pieces, ensuring there is a clear roadmap and that teams are working together seamlessly and delivering on brief.
- Lay the groundwork for a positive relationship with the client, championing Skona and making sure they love and trust us.
- Work closely with ECD and Head of Client Services to strategize how best to sell our ideas.
- Always think strategically and creatively about how we can go above and beyond to seal the deal.
- Set a positive and encouraging tone for the team.
- Support Financial Organization and Performance.
- Stay closely aligned with how we are tracking towards our overall revenue goals and maintain a deep understanding of what’s needed from New Business, adjusting course as needed.
- Manage and keep pitches within approved internal budgets.
- Work closely with resourcing to develop and negotiate strategic proposals to ensure we are closing profitable opportunities.
- You must have 8 years of relevant experience in business development or account management.
- You have an entrepreneurial spirit.
- You have a strong desire to hustle, solve problems, and make things happen.
- You are deeply familiar with the tech landscape and the intricacies of its players and dynamics.
- Ideally you are also familiar with the Private Equity and Venture Capitalist landscape.
- You have extremely strong strategic sensibilities – you are intuitive and able to quickly understand a business’s needs and the role Skona could play.
- You are discerning and able to understand what the right opportunities are for Skona.
- You are a proactive self-starter, able to take the reins and lead, but you are also a team player with a deep love for collaboration.
- You thrive in a fast-paced, nimble environment where no day is the same and can often-times be ambiguous.
- You have the ability to navigate rapid twists and turns with poise, staying calm, cool, and collected.
- You are highly personable and a killer presenter – eloquent and persuasive.
- You are comfortable working with and managing up to senior leadership across a range of departments.
- You have client-facing experience and enthusiasm to be a Skona ambassador to the marketing community, consultants and potential clients – representing the company knowledgeably and charismatically.
- You are proficient and/or versed in Google applications, Wrike, and Slack.
5 signs that you are the right candidate
- You like working in a small environment with a flat organization. Yes, you might even make coffee for everyone sometimes.
- You have an entrepreneurial spirit – you are very pro-active and are ready to get things done however small or complex the problems are.
- You can handle multiple tasks simultaneously and can work under pressure without losing your cool – you’re organized and you understand deadlines and the necessity to prioritize.
- You are a good negotiator with great people skills. You’re the connector between the clients and the designers and developers. Your job is to make everyone happy while delivering high-impact work.
- You like design and strongly believe that creativity can drive business growth. Creativity is the agency’s product. You need to value it to sell and defend it.
5 things that describe you
- Customer focused
- Strong communicator
- Creative thinker
- Problem solver
- Drive for perfection
- Salary commensurate with experience
- 401(k) plan, paid federal company holidays
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs
- Competitive vacation policy
Sköna is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Sköna does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Sounds like you?
Then we can’t wait to hear from you! Fill in the form and we’ll talk soon.